At DriveSure.ca, we’re dedicated to helping you protect your investment. One of the best ways to prolong the life of your vehicle and maintain its value is by following some basic car maintenance tips on an ongoing basis. You could save yourself several thousand dollars in repairs down the road.
The below are important to the primary functions of all vehicles. All car owners should be taking care to stay on top of these necessities for keeping your car in good condition.
- First and foremost, read your owner’s manual. It contains important information such as your recommended maintenance schedule along with the right tire pressure, gas, oil, etc.
- Learn to check your fluids yourself. Usually, there are gauges or dipsticks you can take out to check fluid levels against an ‘optimal’ notch. Be sure to get fluids changed/topped up if they are dirty or too low. In particular, your engine oil should be changed regularly. Again, check your owner’s manual for the recommended frequency.
- Rotate your tires to even the wear. Most vehicle manufacturers will recommend that tires are rotated at the same intervals as oil changes.
- Check your tire pressure regularly, ideally once a week. Low pressure can significantly increase your fuel consumption and high pressure will negatively affect how it drives.
- Keep up to date with manufacturer recalls. In addition to the safety concerns, you may also be able to take advantage of free repairs from the manufacturer.
- Filter manufacturers recommend you change your engine air filter approximately every 12 months or 19,000 km. A dirty air filter can cause a myriad of problems to your engine over time.
- Have your battery checked to ensure it’ll last through the winter. The average life of a battery is approximately 3 years.
- Keep your car clean of salt, sand and dirt, particularly on the undercarriage where residue can cause rust and corrosion.
- Take care of small concerns early before they develop into bigger issues. Have your car thoroughly inspected by a mechanic once a year.
DriveSure.ca provides a suite of insurance products that help you protect the value of your vehicle including replacement cost, limited depreciation, post-crash guarantee and OEM parts. Contact a DriveSure.ca broker in your area to get a quote.